Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas 2010

Christmas this year was a blast! I think maybe I was becoming somewhat of a scrooge at Christmas time, but seeing it all through Alex's eyes this year changed my course. Even as a Christian, I can get so caught up in Chrismas shopping, parties, baking, yada yada...But my children made me stop and breathe; enjoy the present. When Alex and I put the tree up, he was awestruck by the lights and exclaimed "wow." It was nice to step back with him, as we hung the ornaments together, and just enjoy putting up the tree. We enjoyed it so much, I've promised to leave the tree up until the end of January without worrying about taking it down. :)

I wanted to ditch making gingerbread men this year, but my sister Liz convinced me to make them. It has kind of become a tradition. We made them together and Alex and his cousins, Mia and Zach decorated them. It was so nice to see them doing this together. It made all the work worthwhile.

As a family, we also went on a "Journey of Joy." Faith Church in Tinley puts on a reenactment of the different stages of Christmas. Hopefully, next year Alex will understand "suspension of disbelief" and not heckle the actors. :)

Our friend Doug organizes a caroling gig at Holland Home every year, and this was Alex and Daniela's first time coming along. Alex LOVES singing! It was so cute seeing him try to lip sync. My favorite though was how he worked the room. He went around shaking the residents' hands and saying "Merry Christmas." I wish I had that on tape. :)

Keith and I were both involved with the Christmas Eve service at church with him on bass and me in the choir. Alex and Daniela sat through most of the service with my family which was a feat in and of itself. Alex was so proud of his dad, and kept telling his neighbors in the congregation, "Keith's my dad."

We spent Christmas morning with my mom, Barb-Keith's mom, and my sister. We started the day by singing some Christmas carols with Keith on guitar and telling the Christmas story using our nativity set. Alex just couldn't wait for the baby Jesus to make its appearance.

Later, my dad, my brother Ezequiel and his wife Patty and kids joined us for Christmas lunch. It was the first time in over 15 years that we had all spent Christmas together with Dad. Enough said...

Thank You Jesus, for allowing me to step back and see Christmas through Alex's eyes. Thank You for all You have done for us. Thank You for family and for the gifts that You give worth more than any gift money could buy.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: